Saturday, October 31, 2015

90 Minutes in Heaven

90 Minutes in Heaven

a review by John Haynes

I went to see the movie 90 Minutes in Heaven recently. This is the story of a man named Don Piper, who had a tragic accident one day driving his car. He was said to have died, but this was not confirmed. It was not confirmed because in the state of Texas where the accident happened, a coroner has to confirm the death for it to be official. At least in the movie, Don recovered before the coroner got there.

This movie had a lot of good things in it. There is much focus on the gospel. That is a good thing for a movie on the big screen to have. Any time we can get the gospel out to people, I’m all for that. Even if the conclusions it draws are not accurate (cf. Phil. 1:15-18).

The acting was very good. The scenery was also very good. Even the way things are handled with Don’s injuries was done in good taste.

I don’t doubt that Don died. Or that he suddenly woke up again. These things happen all the time. What I do doubt is that he went to Heaven. I doubt this because the Scripture is clear that no one has been to Heaven. Scripture tells us that “No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man” (John 3:13, NASB).

There was another movie that came our recently called Heaven Is for Real, in which a young boy claims that he went to Heaven. Many of the same arguments against that movie come into play in this movie, so if I sound like I’m repeating myself, I am.

We also need to consider these other verses: Proverbs 30:4 says, “Who has ascended into heaven and descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has wrapped the waters in His garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name or His son’s name? Surely you know!” (NASB).

Also, the Bible says clearly that “No one has ever seen God” (John 1:18, NLT; cf. 1 John 4:12; Exod. 33:20). John wrote these verses after A.D. 90, probably when no one but he had seen Jesus (all the others who had probably been with him had already died). It’s clear that he is excepting himself. He did see Jesus. Jesus is God, and John clearly spent a lot of time with Jesus.

In 2 Cor. 12:1-4, Paul talks about a man (ostensibly himself) who had a vision of Heaven. Paul says that this man “was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak” (NASB). It seems clear that Paul did not actually go to Heaven but had a vision. It is also clear that the apostle John did not actually go to Heaven in the book of Revelation. Rev. 4:2 says, “Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven, and One sitting on the throne” (NASB). John wasn’t actually there. He was there in the Spirit (or a spirit).

But perhaps the most telling fact in this movie is something Piper himself says. He says toward the end of the movie that when he went to Heaven, he didn’t actually see Jesus but felt his presence there. I’ve got news for you, pal. If you didn’t see Jesus, you didn’t go to Heaven because Heaven is where Jesus is. If Jesus were in Cleveland, Ohio, it would be Heaven. Heaven is where Jesus is. Period.

I’m not about to say that this man went through some demonic exercise. I don’t think Satan would trick someone into thinking they went to Heaven. Besides, Piper still gives glory to God, so I don’t think the Devil is involved.

At the end of the movie, it says he has spoken in more than 3,000 churches. I was very sad to see this. Are there that many people who are so deluded that they believe this nonsense?

You are free to disagree with me, and many have. I’ve actually been surprised at how many Christians say that this man could have gone to Heaven. Again, no he couldn’t have. Look at the biblical evidence. This isn’t me saying he couldn’t and didn’t go; it’s God saying he couldn’t and didn’t go. So if you disagree, I would like to hear your biblical arguments for why you believe that.

Yes, Heaven is real. And I know I will go there one day. I know that because I have faith in God and his Word, not because somebody tells me s/he’s been there.


“God has reserved a priceless inheritance for his children. It is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay” (1 Pet. 1:4, NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment